Thursday, March 04, 2010

trinitarian























a close up























At last, spring is in the air,
the sun is pouring into my bedrooms windows,
the birds are singing,
everything is waking up after a long, cold winter,
or at least is intent on waking me up.

Going into my studio, which was such a refuge in the winter, now seems cave like and a bit depressing. I think I need to clean, organize and decorate the area so it is more uplifting.
I'm pretty good at purging items in the rest of my house, but I am so protective of 'art items'. Books, reference materials, odds and ends, supplies... I can't seem to let any of it go. If I can't use it in my paintings, I think it may be usable for a future classroom. One thing in particular I am totally perplexed about is old artwork. This stuff isn't good. It's from classes, or failed experiments, or at one time I liked it but now consider it unworthy.

What do you do with old artwork?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Photograph it then paint over it...glue some papers on top of it...spray paint it.

CourtneyP said...

Love your new work. I have a thing for numbers and letters. I have a ton of old work hanging around myself.... when you find out what to do , let me know!

Unknown said...

my old stuff is in the garage..freezing. some of it good, some bad. i also need to organize and decorate with happy colors and things. i enjoy the numbers you used in this painting. i'm a recent art school grad and i'm burnt out on painting but your paintings want to make me pick up a brush again.

thx
danielle;}

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alkemilla said...

Apply a layer of acrylic gesso over it then paint something new.
:)
Canvases and panels cost a lot and take up too much room. Recycling is always a good choice, in my opinion.

Cheers
Laura

Alkemilla said...

Apply a layer of acrylic gesso over it then paint something new.
:)
Canvases and panels cost a lot and take up too much room. Recycling is always a good choice, in my opinion.

Cheers
Laura

miz katie said...

If it can't be gessoed over and re-used, I give it away.

FleasKneesStudio.blogspot.com said...

It was great meeting you yesterday at Mary Beth Shaw's class--wasn't that fun? I'm all jazzed up now to create again after a long hiatus. Your art is GREAT!!!

Regarding old artwork, I can only say that quilting projects gone wrong work out great when they are cut up and reused in new and different ways. When you get a lemon, make lemonade!